‘Abdu’l-Bahá: Tea with the Master

♥Tea with the Master♥

“During his American tour, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá stopped in Denver, Colorado. Elizabeth Clark, a Denver Bahá’í, had invited the Master to her home for tea. On the day ‘Abdu’l-Bahá was to call on her, Clark spent the morning busily cleaning and straightening the upstairs and downstairs rooms of her home to prepare for her honored guest. But, as the hours slipped by, Clark realized she would not have enough time to finish the job. In a last-minute compromise, she shoved her dirty laundry into the kitchen and left a pile of unwashed dishes in the sink. And then Clark dashed out the door to meet ‘Abdu’l-Bahá’s train as it pulled into the station.


“There was only one problem. Elizabeth Clark had gotten her dates mixed up. ‘Abdu’l-Bahá had arrived in Denver the day before. When the Master and his entourage did not get off the train, a despondent and perplexed Clark went home — only to see them waiting on her front porch.


“Despite the rocky start, the Master’s visit went well. During the tea time conversation, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá complimented her on how clean and well ordered she kept her home. Then, just before it was time to leave, the Master asked for a glass of water.


“I’ll get it,” Clark said, jumping up to head for her cluttered kitchen. “It would be an honor for me to serve you.”


“No, no, no,” ‘Abdu’l-Bahá interrupted though his interpreter. “My name is ‘Abdu’l-Bahá and that means I am a servant. I’ll get the water.”


“And, with that, he walked into her kitchen. A mortified Elizabeth Clark could only wait for what would happen next. After a few moments, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá emerged from her messy kitchen with a glass of water, drank a few sips and handed her the glass. And then, speaking in English, he joked, “And you thought you could hide something from ‘Abdu’l-Bahá?”

(The Master Humorist, by Robert Ballenger pp25-29)

Lynette Wilson, Publisher
Author: Lynette Wilson, Publisher

Lynette grew up in the small Wisconsin town of Boscobel, home of the Gideon Bible. After attending college at the University of Wisconsin, Madison and Platteville achieving an A.A. degree she decided a break was needed n order to figure out which academic discipline she wanted to pursue. While contemplating intensely on her choices she met and married Fernando. Lynette returned to college and studied Small Business Management and Bookkeeping. After several years of working in management she found herself once again meditating on her future. The powers that be answered and she returned to the academic life in pursuit of a double major in Physical and Occupational Therapy. She found time to assist in the Special Resource Center helping quadriplegics and the legally blind in the classroom setting as well as reading for the blind. In the midst of her professional goals she had a difficult pregnancy which temporarily (...so she thought) would interrupt her coursework. She attempted to return to her studies, but the stork visited a second time. After the birth of their daughter, an unwelcomed visitor arrived a year and a half later, Brain Cancer. After 7 years of fighting, Fernando passed away. (2003) This experience...

Share a comment

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On PinterestVisit Us On YoutubeVisit Us On Instagram